How to play European roulette?
Of all the variations of roulette in physical and online casinos, European roulette is the one preferred by the majority of players. The reason for its enormous popularity is that it offers the player a greater chance of winning, as the house advantage here is only 2.63%.
As already mentioned, European roulette has 37 divisions, with numbers from 1 to 36 and 0’s. The numbers from 1 to 36 are alternately red and black, while the single zero is marked in green.
The main objective, which every player pursues, is to predict in which numbered pocket the roulette ball will settle. To do this, all players make bets on a particular number, after which the dealer turns the roulette wheel in one direction and spins the roulette ball in the other. Once the ball has found its way into the pocket with that particular number, the respective player(s) are paid.
Basic rules of the game
When playing European roulette online, you will find that the betting process is relatively easy. The player must place his/her chips on the desired bet and press the « Spin » button. Once the betting round is over, the player must choose either to place another bet (« Rebet » button) or to quit the game (« Clear Bets » button).
In physical casinos, the betting process is as follows.
- Four members of the casino staff usually go to the roulette table. Two of them are known as croupiers and their main function is to manage the bets and spin the ball in the roulette wheel. The other two casino employees are known as the « end of the table » and the « game manager », who are responsible for the smooth running of the game.
- The number of participants around the roulette table usually varies between 1 and 8. The roulette game is started as soon as the dealer calls « Make your bets » (or « Place your bets »). Players are now allowed to make the type of bets that we will mention later in the article. The dealer then places the ball to make a spin on the roulette wheel. As soon as the ball has two more spins, the croupier announces « Nothing more ».
- From that point on, if bets are placed, they are usually disregarded. Once the ball has fallen into one of the 37 numbered pockets, the dealer identifies and announces the winning number. Lost bets are returned home, while all winning bets are paid.
Types of bets that must be made
The roulette table betting consists of two sections, individual number bets and group bets.
In Europe, roulette players can enjoy two main categories of betting, indoor and outdoor betting. Inside bets are made on a single number, adjacent numbers or small groups of numbers, while outside bets include larger groups of numbers.
The majority of bets offer different odds and different payouts, respectively. These winnings and odds are usually not shown in the table, except for the win in the betting column. Therefore, before entering the game, players should be aware of the winnings and odds of each bet.
Let’s review the inside and outside bets in European Roulette.
- Direct bet: It is placed on a single number, including the « 0 », and directly on the number. The payout is 35 to 1.
- Split Bet: It has two adjacent numbers and is placed on the line between these numbers. The bet can also include 0 and 1, 0 and 2, 0 and 3. The payout is 17 to 1.
- Street Bet: Bet consists of all three numbers in a row and is placed on the line at the end of the row. There are other options for its placement as well – it can include 0, 1, 2; 0, 2, 3. Its payout is 11 to 1.
- Corner Bet: It consists of a group of four numbers and is placed in the corner where the four numbers touch. The bet can also be placed on the corner of 0, 1, 2 and 3. The payout is 8 to 1.
- Line Bet: It consists of six numbers (or two lines of three numbers) and is placed at the end of two lines, on the border between them. The payout is 5-to-1.
- Column Bet: It consists of an entire column and is placed in the « 2-1 » box at the end of a column. Its payout is 2 to 1.
- Dozen Bet: This bet consists of a group of 12 numbers and can be placed on the « 1st 12 » box (1 to 12), the « 2nd 12 » box (13 to 24), or the « 3rd 12 » box (25 to 36). Its payout is 2 to 1.
- Bet on colour: It includes all the red numbers or all the black numbers on the line and is placed on the « Red » square (all red numbers) or the « Black » square (all black numbers). Its payout is 1 to 1
- Bet on even/odd: It has all the even numbers or all the odd numbers on the board and is placed on the « Even » box (all even numbers) or the « Odd » box (all odd numbers). Its payout is 1 to 1.
- Bet on Low/High: It has all the low numbers or all the high numbers on the board and is placed on the « Low » square (numbers 1 to 18) or the « High » square (numbers 19 to 36). The payout is 1 to 1.
If a player places an outside bet in even money (Red/Black, Even/Odd, Low/High) and the winning number is 0, he can take advantage of the « in jail » rule. As explained above, the player will now receive either 50% of their wager or the entire wager will be imprisoned. If the imprisoned bet turns out to be a winner on the next spin, it will be released and the player will get it back without any winnings.
If the ball lands on zero on the next spin of the roulette wheel, then it becomes a matter of debate and depends on where the roulette game is played. There are four variations of the « in jail » rule, depending on where the game is played.
If the game is played in Hamburg, 50% of the outside bets in even money will be recovered by the player, when the ball falls into pocket 0.
In Berlin, there is a slightly different scenario. If the ball falls into pocket 0, the outside even money bets will be imprisoned. An imprisoned bet will be recovered by the player if he wins the next spin. However, if the 0 wins on the next turn, the bet will be returned home. In Berlin, players are allowed to request the removal of the imprisoned bet from one even money bet to another.
In France, in a number of casinos, the bet is placed on an « equal odds line ».
If the player makes a bet on colour (for example, black), but the winning number is 0, the bet will be placed on the line under the black diamond. If the ball falls into a black pocket, the bet will be released. If the ball falls into a red coloured pocket, the bet will be released. If the next round(s) is/are on 0, the bet will remain on the line, until a red or black number is turned. Instead of being trapped, the player can also choose to put back 50% of the bet
In the Netherlands, if the 0 is rolled twice in a row, the bet will be « double-jailed ».
In this case, the player will have to make two consecutive winning bets in order to release the initial bet. If a third 0, or anything else, is spun, the bet will be returned home. As in other parts of Europe, the player can also choose to get back 50% of his initial bet.
Casinos for playing roulette
Our articles on roulette game written by experts.
Here is a proposal of articles: