Blackjack Rules: How to become better at blackjack?
Blackjack rules vary from casino to casino, making it difficult to learn the blackjack strategy. However, many correct moves are basic enough not to differ from casino to casino, and most large-scale casinos have very similar rules.
Basic Blackjack Rules
Before the start of the round, the players place their bets. Once the bets have been placed, the dealer deals a face-up card to each player and then a face-down card to each player.
The dealer then deals a second card to all players around the table. The dealer then asks the players from left to right what action they wish to take. The players indicate whether they wish to draw an extra card or not. It is possible to ask for as many cards as you need as long as you do not go over 21.
When all the players are served, it is around the dealer to help themselves. He draws cards up to a total of 17 points. If the dealer’s total is between 17 and 21, players who have more than the dealer’s total will double their bets. If the dealer exceeds 21 points, all players still in the game win.
In the event of a tie between a player and the dealer, the player gets his bet back.
What actions should be taken after the first two cards have been dealt
Take insurance :
If the dealer’s visible card is an AS or a 10, it is possible to take the insurance. This allows the player to protect himself against a possible blackjack by the dealer that would leave the player with little chance of winning. To do so, he will have to pay half of his initial bet to the bank. This is an additional investment that will reduce losses since the player will « only » lose the amount of his initial bet.
If the dealer does not blackjack, the player will still come out a winner since he will get back half of his initial bet.
As you can see, insurance is a good way to protect yourself from dealer blackjack.
Make a split :
In certain situations, splitting your two cards can increase your chances of winning against the dealer, this is called a « split ». Your 2 cards will be split into 2 separate hands and the player will be able to draw 2 new cards. In exchange, the player will have to double his bet with the banker. This is a risky bet, because if the player loses on both hands, he will have lost twice his initial bet. On the contrary, if the player wins with both hands, he will double his initial bet. If the player wins with only one card, the player gets his original bet back.
Double the bet:
In contrast to the « split« , a player may choose to double his bet. If the player is satisfied with his first 2 cards and they give him a high probability of winning, the player can double his initial bet to win a larger amount in case of a win.
Important points in blackjack
- The purpose of blackjack is to beat the dealer’s hand without exceeding 21.
- Face cards are worth 10. Aces are worth 1 or 11, depending on what makes a better hand.
- Each player starts with two cards, one of the dealer’s cards is hidden until the end.
- « Draw » means to ask for another card. « Stay » is holding your total and finishing your turn.
- If you exceed 21, you lose and the dealer wins regardless of the dealer’s hand.
- If you receive 21 from the beginning (Ace & 10), you have blackjack.
- Blackjack usually means that you win 1.5 of the amount of your bet.
- It depends on the casino.
- The dealer will draw until his cards total 17 or more.
- Doubling is like a move, only the bet is doubled and you only get one more card.
- Splitting can be done when you have two cards of the same card – the pair is split into two hands.
- The split also doubles the bet, as each new hand is worth the original bet.
You can only double/split on the first move, or the first move of a hand created by a split.
- You cannot play on two aces after they have split.
- You can double/split a hand resulting from a split, triple or quadruple bet.
Online casino platforms to join a blackjack table
Our articles on blackjack game written by experts.
Here is a proposal of articles: